Saturday, June 21, 2008

Coming up on EIGHT WEEKS!

In just two days, it'll be 8 weeks since Hick had TTA surgery. He's doing GREAT!

We left home on 6/11 for our Wisconsin vacation. We drove 14+ hours and arrived at my parents' very late. Hick did great in the car...of course he takes up the entire backseat of the van, so he has the best seat around.

We only spent one night at my parents, and then it was up to visit Friend Tina at her and her husband's lake house. Her 2 dogs, Sable & Max, both German Shepherds got along great w/ Holly & Hickory...altho Hickory tended to get "overstimulated" with Max and kept trying to "mount" him.

On Fri., Hick played a lot and was in the water. Unfortunately, they have to have rocks along the shore edge to stop erosion, but they had a ramp for the dogs. Holly did great with it, but Hick didn't like it. One time he'd walked down on the rocks and slipped, and my stomach lurched while I ran to him to help him get up. It was scary.

He seemed exhausted the next day, so we took it really easy. The overexertion and slip didn't seem to hurt him, but obviously wore him out. By the following day, he had "happy tail" again, and life was good.

DH left Mon. for Milwaukee to fly home for a week and a half. He'll be working and taking care of Domino, our nearly 14 yr old cat. He'll be coming back again on 6/26 when we'll have to run to MKE to get him.

DS and I, and the dogs, came back to my parents' Tuesday night. I've been walking the dogs each morning around the perimeter of my small hometown. I drove it yesterday and found that it's nearly 3 miles! Hick's doing great with it all, and I hope to take him out to the lake one day soon.

It's hard sometimes to keep him restricted. There's a big open field behind my parents' house. Back in Dec., when we came up, he zoom around, bounding through the snow with those long legs. The snow has been replaced with grasses that are as tall as Holly. I let her off leash, and she just runs all over, sniffing out rabbit holes and exploring. Hick's not always good about staying close, and with a busy road nearby, I really don't mind having to keep him on leash.

It has all been worth it seeing how great he walks.

No comments: