I had an interview today at a public library branch nearby. The only positions available right now at the public libraries are for pages...book shelvers. I'm what I typically refer to as a "real" librarian...I have a Master's degree from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited program. Librarians, like other female dominated professions, have be de-valued by our society. I had people ask me, when I was going to library school, "you need a Master's degree to check out books?"...and then I'd have to explain that the people checking out books are the clerical/support staff...typically not the librarians, although I have checked out books...and shelved books...and found rolls of toilet paper...you do what you have to do sometimes!
It's a pet peeve of mine, so I'll apologize for the rant, but no one goes to a hospital and assumes that everyone is a doctor. No one goes to a law office and assumes that everyone is an attorney. But, for some reason (probably the gender thing) most people consider everyone in a library is a librarian.
Now, all that being said, right now I need a job. I need something to pay for Hick's surgery. No doubt I could find something that pays better than minimum wage, with flexible hours, maybe even something in a library where I could feel I'm putting my education and skills to work. But right now, I just need to get something and get started.
The good news is that the two women I interviewed with were great. The manager/librarian (not sure if she's got an MLS...I wasn't going to ask, since it doesn't matter...she'd be my boss...actually my bosses boss since it was the other woman, probably the Circulation Manager, who oversees the pages) started with, "our first question is why you want to work here, but we know you've got a sick dog."
I laughed and said, "Yea, I bet you don't hear that too often, do you?"
She laughed and said, "It was definitely memorable!"
I'm waiting to hear on the other potential job at the university archives. That one pays better and would make me feel like I was being used a bit better.
Stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment