Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Eventful Day

Last night Hick started wimpering a lot. We took him out, me holding his choke chain, M holding the towel under his groin for support, but nothing. We even let him go way down in the backyard into Hick's "poop zone"...but still nothing.

We got in the house, and he wimpered a lot, so we gave him his pain meds...but still wimpering. We took him out...nothing...and got him settled in C's room. We got in bed, but the wimpering was too much so we moved C into my side of the bed, and I was going to try to sleep w/ Hick (and Holly...who was so happy to be with her momma!)...but after a few moments, I called for M and said, "we've gotta take him out."

This time we put him on the leash and let him wander since he was really stable. After some wandering and sniffing, the floodgates opened and he tinkled forever...standing on the BAD LEG!

We came back in and all slept until about 3:30 when the wimpering started again. Took him out...but just a little tinkle...and then slept until about 6. I suggested we let him walk in the backyard again and that did the trick! He did his pooping thang!! YEA!

We had a hectic morning w/ C shadowing at a middle school, so Hick was alone for a bit. When I got home I took him out.

He pooped again a few times, and I gave him another can of tuna, to keep things going...but I think it might have been too much. I also gave him a bit of peanut butter in a kong...and maybe it's just post-surgery stuff, but he's been vomitting a little bit and also had some diarrhea.

He's such a good boy, though. One time, we'd gone out, he'd done his business...but not long after we'd got back in and settled, Hick started wimpering again...I talked to him and thought maybe he was hurting, but finally I asked if he wanted to go out, and he hopped up...out we went, and that was when the diarrhea had started. Obviously his stomach had been hurting, and he really did need to go back out.

He's had a little gas later this afternoon. Last time it got pretty bad for a few days...but I think it was while he was constipated...

Overall, he is doing so GREAT! He just seems to handle it so much better this time. I don't know if it's because he had the surgery earlier in the day and some of the grogginess had worn off, or if his body knows what to expect, or he knows...or some combination...

The only challenge is keeping him slow and calm. The TTA surgery involved cutting his bone and putting in the implants. He has to grow new bone, and that leaves the leg very fragile for the next 12 weeks. He has to be completely on leash whenever outside. We still had rugs on the non-carpeted areas, but I moved them so the area through the kitchen to garage door is pretty solidly covered.

His leg is very swollen and bruised. I'll get some pics tomorrow...and tonight I'm sleeping with him again...keeping my fingers crossed that we all sleep through the night!

No comments: