Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Another good check-up

Hickory went to see Dr. Dew again yesterday for another follow-up. Last week, at the two week check, Dr. Dew said there was some swelling and wanted to see Hick in a week.

I took him alone. He got into the van, and we let him get on the back, bench seat. We'd asked Dr. Dew about Hick riding like that last week, mainly for our WI trip coming up, and Dr. Dew said it would be fine...esp. since Hick's got such long legs, and it's just a regular step down for him.

When I took him yesterday, since I had to go alone, we figured it would be safest for him to have his usual seat. Anytime Hick gets in the van he goes right to the back and sacks out. When I take DS to school, every once in awhile, I'll take Holly & Hickory. Hick flops out, and no one would ever know we had a big doggie back there. Holly, always the herder, has to watch everything, preferably from the front passenger seat next to her momma! It's always funny how very different they are.

Dr. Dew was very happy with Hick's progress. Dr. Dew was pleased just by the way Hick got up when he (vet) came into the room. When he moved Hick's leg around, Hick didn't fuss at all....last week he whimpered and fussed a bit.

Last week, Dr. Dew told us that we could start walking Hick a couple blocks...and two shorter walks would be better than one long one. We stroll around the yard quite a bit (we have nearly 1/2 acre), but DH has started taking Hick down the road also. It's helpful, since Hick is feeling so good, it's hard to keep him calm without some type of exercise.

I asked about any rehab exercises. I said that there had been quite a bit of discussion on orthodogs about rehab and muscle loss, but considering the way Hick was up and on the leg, I said I couldn't imagine that he had lost that much muscle.

Dr. Dew said that TTA is great that way. He said that Hick probably has had some, but nothing that regular usage won't rebuild. He said in the 1200+ dogs he's done, there's only been 1 dog that he told needed to get hydrotherapy. All the rest are more like Hickory, and of the "don't rush it" group. He said that if we had access to water, it would be great for Hick, and I said that when we're in WI we will...

Dr. Dew also said that the leg usage will wax and wane. He said some days it might look like no surgery had taken place (as in look bad), and other days will be great...but the goal is for it to be a continual improvement.

Most of the time, Hick looks great. There are times when you can tell it's gotten stiff...like earlier today...but then he'll walk it out a bit and look normal. His glycoflex supplements will be here tomorrow. I ordered them from: http://www.discountpetdrugs.com/

I'll post some pics soon (I know, I know...I've been saying that for a week now...but it really has been completely nuts here at our house)...I'm taking Hick out and will take some pics TODAY!

Thanks again to everyone for checking in with us and keeping our special pup in your thoughts and prayers. :-)

No comments: