Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Bit of a Scare

Yesterday morning, DH went in to get DS up. Hick has been feeling so good...he gets very excited in the morning, swatting and wiggling and whacking that tail. DH sat on the bed (just the mattress on the floor, no box springs even), and Hick was all over him and, without thinking, DH pushed Hick off him. I heard a "yelp" and was so scared, but Hick seemed fine.

Later in the day, Hick came up the basement (carpeted) stairs. He'd gotten up a couple other times (when DH was holding the leash and trying to open the sliding glass doors so he could walk Hick up from outside, only Hick got going up the stairs) We'd made a barricade using a mini-tramp and bungee cords, but yesterday, Hick just went on thru them.

Later, I was outside with Hick, waiting for DS to get home, and I noticed Hick wasn't standing quite right on his repaired leg. It wasn't terribly obvious, but something was definitely off. He walked on it, but it was all too familar of the injury type walk.

Last night, I pointed it out to DH, and at first he didn't see it, but then he could. We hoped it would be better in the morning.

This morning, Hick woke me at 4:30 needing to do his business...both stops! I was watching him closely, and I could still see a hesitation. I emailed the ortho vet and also my orthodogs TTA buddies.

The vet assistant got back to me pretty quickly and asked that if I felt the knee, if Hick was upset, biting or snarling or snappy at me (he wasn't) She also said that since he was putting weight on it, it was a good sign and probably he just over did it.

I don't know what incident, if any, might have been the "too much"...oh...and last night before bed he came lunging at the cat. The vet assist said to keep him quiet...and that was what my TTA buddies agreed...and both of them have had somewhat similar setbacks/scares. It's just so hard when your dog looks like he's fine, but we're going to get stricter again. No more trips downstairs, and he's confined to only DS's room again, instead of roaming the carpeted hallway as well.

Hick rested well today, and I turned Enya on again to put him in that chillin' state.

One other thing. The ortho vet's assist said that Hick's stitches dissolve so they don't need to be removed next week...but we'll still go in for a check. She said that if Hick seemed to be having problems, and we wanted to have it checked before Mon, that we should go to our regular vet, and if she thought the implants might have gotten moved then she should x-ray them.

Eleven more weeks!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Diligence in aftercare!. Although he seems better treat him as though it is day one until the 6 wk checkup at least. it's tempting to let him have more freedom but don't give in,it's a bone that has been cut and needs time to repair.
He probably didn't do any damage .So don't worry to much.

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

I'm feeling Hicks 'strain'. Been doing the same thing myself. Maybe Hick and I need a recovery room together of nothing but Enya and rest :-) My prayers continue to be with him for healing and recovery to 100%.