Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day Before Surgery

Tomorrow is the day Hick goes in. I've been okay with everything, but it's getting close now, and I'm getting nervous.

I've got some of the prep work done. Got tuna in oil, as suggested by the vet (to aid w/ constipation post-op) and also canned pumpkin (not the pie-mix) as recommended on Orthodogs.

I also got a Sam's Club size tub of peanut butter to put in kongs for him to keep him busy while he recovers, and two more gates. The one for the basement stairs telescopes (instead of the metal baby gate we had from when DS was a baby, and that he and DH keep stepping over and scaring me!), and a tall tension type for DS's room where we're going to confine Hick.

I need to get rugs out and in place in the tiled entryway and kitchen path to the garage door and probably buy some non-skid runners as well. Another Walmart run...ugh!

The ramp I'd ordered from Amazon came late Fri. Taking the great suggestion of someone I contacted privately from Orthodogs (thanks M&Brutus!) I tested it yesterday with Hick, and it was a disaster. Hick wouldn't go up (the van is barely more than a large step up for his long legs), and once I finally got him up (thinking maybe having Holly "show him how to do it" would help...it didn't, but she liked the treats...she's so smart) I couldn't get him out...he just jumps in the far back, bench seat (he takes up the entire bench), and is ready to go wherever...

The ramp I got maybe isn't the best choice, but it was smaller and less expensive than some. It doesn't hook anywhere, and the angle seems a bit steep, altho probably not any different than most of them...and I'll admit it feels a bit flimsy to me. I had to hold it and regretted not getting something else...but maybe it wouldn't have mattered. I think Hick is so used to getting in and out without it.

At one point I was trying to get him to go up, and he slipped and yelped. He then hopped up in the van with a limp, and I nearly cried. I felt so bad and was so worried, my stomach all in knots. I came in and told DH, but by the time he came to see, Hick had come in the house and seemed as fine as he is right now. It was a disaster, and I'm guessing we'll just have to lift him down.

DS and I are going to get his room ready today. We'll clear out some small chairs and the bean bag. Remove the trashcan (Hick likes to pull stuff out!) and all the little toys and things on the bookshelves. I don't think Hick will pull books neatly shelved in the bookcase, but figure we'd better clear out anything tempting.

We're going to move out the double bed and put in the unused twin from the "cat room" (the room that has the cat litterbox and food & water). I'm planning to sleep with Hick the first few nights. Once we get past the first few nights that are more likely to be problematic, DS will go back...and he'll LOVE sleeping w/ his dog. Normally the dogs are kept out of the bedroom part of our ranch-style home at night.

In 48 hours we'll be getting Hick from the Emergency Clinic (pick-up by 7 a.m.). I wish I could fast-forward and be there now...and have all the dropping him off, leaving him, worrying thru the surgery, leaving him overnight, all of that, behind us. Hurry up Tuesday!

3 comments:

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Hick and your family are in my prayers. A couple more 'helps': Try getting self sticking velcro. Put it on the corners of the area rugs you put on the tile floor. It'll keep the rug from slipping and the corners from curling up and people and Hick tripping on them. Any stickum left on your floor when the rugs are removed, can be taken off with nail polish remover.

Also, go to Walmart and in their bath or baby section they'll have those no skid sticky things you put in bathtubs so the kid doesn't slip. Coat that ramp you got with those and Hick won't slip on the metal--you may need gorilla glue to keep them in place on the ramp, but it's better than Hick slipping.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Grew up with Huskies :-)

Vicki said...

Thanks Julie Anne! Great tip on the rugs. I was thinking about getting some of that "under rug" stuff and using that as well...esp. since we'll need something out in the garage after yesterday's fiasco.

The ramp I got has a sandpaper like layer which I don't think helped Hick wanting to use it. I'd return the darn thing but it got scratched up and even ripped a little on one edge.

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

You may want to check out the tractor supply places for a better ramp. We just got one for my wheelchair. It's ridged and rough, but solid, too. I think it was $130 for a 6 foot long one. If Hick isn't afraid of those no skid bath thingies, you may want to give them a try anyway. It might make the ramp less scary. My tiels are overly particular like that. A whole carrot is terrifying, chopped carrot is even more terrifying, grated carrot is yummy and 'more please'. Dogs aren't much different. What makes sense to them is nuts to us.