Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hick's HOME!


Hickory is home and resting. We're so glad to have him back. He's so pathetic.

The woman at the Clinic kidded with us, "Are you sure you want to take him home?" and "Hickory? He's not here." I just said, "Everyone loves Hickory."

DH had to help get him up and out of the kennel, and it was slow going. He doesn't want to put any weight on the leg. We got him out and to a grassy area but he wasn't interested in doing anything, and I know that can take awhile.

We got him in the van, but not w/out some cries, and it hurts us for him to hurt. DH drove us home, while I sat in the back (all seats in the van down or out) and held him, having him lean against me.

Getting him in the house was another problem. He just doesn't want to put any weight on it, and you can tell he doesn't want to use it...or know how to use it. Luckily there's only two steps up into the house (one step, and then the house floor is up another short step), but that was hard. The other problem was realizing that we'd prepared DS's room, but it's on the other end of the house. There's no way he's going anywhere, so we got him into the family room and got him settled. The picture in this was taken minutes ago.

Hick's eyes are all goopy from something they must do for the surgery. He's got a pain patch on his leg, and we were given glycoflex III (in both tablet and chew form) and prevocet (I think that's right) also for pain.

I cut the sides out of a canvas book bag like I'd seen online, and as was suggested on orthodogs. I'm hoping that helps...it's just a challenge when you've got a BIG dog. DH is home for a bit, but I probably will let Hick sleep as much as possible, and take him out when he seems to stir. Hopefully tonight we'll get him in DS's room.

Holly was glad to see him, and luckily she's mature enough and thinks of him as her baby, so she wasn't trying to play. Right now she's not even around, so that's good. I was concerned she'd pester him. I imagine once he gets over the initial soreness and grogginess, it will be a different story, and we'll definitely be diligent about his restriction. It's only going to get better from here...that's what I told him on the way home.

We had to pay the vet bill yesterday and that was $2690. Today we got out for $328+, so that was good. They'd said between $300 & $400 for the overnight clinic, and I'd figured it would be the top end, but we were near the bottom. Guess we know where our IRS incentive check is going! Too bad we couldn't claim Hick & Holly as children...pets should count!

2 comments:

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

The average parrot, which tiels are parrots, has the mentality of a 1 to 3 year old child. Yup, they should count as dependants, fur AND feather! I'm glad Hicks home and he looks comfortable. It may be a couple of days before you start to see 'Hick' again. I'm glad you've got this blog and I'm glad you've been updating me direct, too.

ParrotiseBeads said...

awww...look at that sweet baby! I know it's a relief to have him home. Give him a pat for me!